I have always had a complete love affair with festivals - it goes back to dating Olive's dad - he was in a band and we either went to festivals together as far away as Asia or if he was playing other dates first I would go as the scout and set up camp ready for when he arrived on a tour bus. We notched up some legendary wet Glastonbury’s - blazing beach festivals and loved every minute.
I imagined Olive growing up as a festival kid and that is pretty much how things have worked out - she has almost been to as many festivals as me, is obsessed with music, loves camping, has created and worn some great festival outfits and now at 14 is desperate to strike out on her own for some festival madness with her friends - she is going to have to wait a few years for that!
There are a few tricks that I think make for a good time. VIP treatment isn’t exclusive to the bands any more - almost every festival offers glamping (some in the extreme) warm showers, hot tubs, civilised feasting tables. The obvious draw back is that such privileges come with a ££££. Weigh it up though - with kids in tow turning up to a ready pitched tent that isn’t miles away on the other side of the site is a major bonus especially if you aren’t blessed with good weather. It can be a good debut to festival life with kids.
You need to pack for all eventualities - that means for torrential rain and a heat wave. My top 10 for kids:-
1. Welly’s and warm welly socks
2. Ear defenders for kids Essential for loud music - don’t forget kids can wear them when they are asleep if you are all still out and about 3. An all-terrain buggy with a waterproof cover and a sun shade ...or better still a 4 wheel customised festival trailer
4. If you are taking a baby or a toddler you can’t beat a sling
5. Waterproof dungarees ...that the kids can wear with a tee, even if its sunny - it means they can sit almost anywhere.
6. A rain jacket or waterproof cape We love GoSoaky! 7. ID band If your kids don’t know your phone number write it on an ID band just in case they go AWOL
8. A wind up torch
9. Warm PJ’s - leave the onesies and jumpsuits at home - they are not made for festival toilets!