Olive Loves Alfie did a Q&A with Tina Tuchinda from kids brand Tuchinda - a UK exclusive brand from NYC we are stocking this season. They create the most thoughtful and worldly heirloom pieces of clothing for babies and little girls. All of their pieces make unique gifts for baby shower gifts, an outfit for a naming day ceremony, christening or wedding. The attention to detail and handwork pays homage to artisan crafts. Their designs have hand me down potential Tuchinda donate a portion of their sales to abuse and neglected children and are currently working with Children’s Rights in NYC. It was lovely to hear a bit more about her family life...
1) What is your family motto? Be passionate about something....smile/laugh but have the grit to see it through....stay humble in the process....have empathy and give back to those less fortunate....repeat.
2) Describe your brand in 3 words? Thoughtful, Artisinal, Global
3) Describe your family in 3 words? Laughter, Love, High Energy
4) Does your family have a favourite song? Right now the family has Sofi Tukker "Best Friend" on repeat
5) What's your favourite season and why? We love the summer because of the prolonged sunlight, beach, and traveling
6) What's your favourite time of day and why? My favorite time is right after I put the kids to bed and sneak out for some "Tina" time.
7) What's it like for a family living in New Jersey? We live in NJ....it's good because we have NYC just 30 min away, beaches about an hour away, yet still breathe fresh suburban air and the kids can safely run around the yard. Also, we live in an area that's highly diverse culturally which is super important to us.
8) What is the key for a happy childhood? Unconditional love from your parents, and having parents who spend lots of quality time with you and really try to get to know and understand you.
9) Describe your home? Eclectic, Artisanal....filled with crafts made by local artisans during our travels. Natural....we love natural fibers, plants, wood, etc. High tech....because my husband loves gadgets....so almost everything in our home can be controlled with his iPhone, haha, and all the appliances talk to you.
10) Where do you get inspiration from? Literally anything, any place, any person, any food, any gesture, etc etc....
11) What are your family traditions? Road trips, traveling, trying new things all the time.
12) What is your favourite kids book? My kids and I love "Beautiful Oops" by Barney Saltzberg
13) How would you describe your style and /or your parenting style? I think they call it Kangaroo parenting where you wear your child all the time, you breastfeed till they are 2, you co sleep, very child led....
14) Where is your favourite spot to holiday? Recently, our fave spot is Ubud in Bali!!! ....very spiritual, natural, simple, and many Artisans making beautiful crafts!
15) What is your favourite family day out? Getting together with our friends and their kids and going road tripping
16) What hopes do you have for the future for the children and future generations? I hope that they are truly happy and have inner peace....and then share it with the rest of the world and do whatever it takes to make the lives of the others less fortunate better.
17) What emoji sums your brand up - or if it doesn't exist what would it be?! I use the Frangipani flower in a lot of my branding because it symbolizes everything I love: intense love, spirituality, strength, open arms....it's beautiful enchanting scent, so my symbol would be the Frangipani flower